Thanks for enquiring about Pawfully Clever Barky Dog Workshops! This course is designed for owners of dogs that bark, lunge or pull towards at other dogs, people, or bikes when on walks. It aims to give you the theoretical understanding and practical tools you will need to change this frustrating behaviour. I hope this pack will answer your questions, but if not please send me an email or give me a call. I am happy to chat about your individual needs.
A workshop with a difference
What will you take away from this course:
- Understand reactivity – what it is (hint – it describes more than one thing!), why your dog does this, and what you can do to help your dog
- What kind of reactive is your dog- frustrated greeter; aggressive (territorial or predation based); anxious; confused; habit; in pain; a little bit of everything!
- Identify what triggers your dog’s reactions
- Advanced doggy body language
- Understand your own dog’s stress threshold
- Reading list and list of resources
- Create a chill out plan for your dog
- Create a training plan to tackle their issues
- Learn what the effective solutions backed by science are, and why sometimes they fail (hint: it’s not the science, it’s how it’s delivered)
- Learn why shouting, hitting or yanking at the dog are often counter productive
- Practice the handling, timing and judgement skills you need to be successful on my own dogs who have been successfully rehabbed
- Observe, set up and participate in setting up training sessions
- Some of your dogs may be suitable as demo dogs on the practical. If so, you can practice your skills with your dog. If not, you can learn a lot by observing the dogs body languages, and how they interact with the handler, environment and each other, and practice handling the stooge dogs.
- Private Facebook group for support and sharing tips and advice with people who understand how isolating it can be.
- You can also send your own training videos to me for comment via What’s App.
- You will be able to decide on concrete steps with your dogs after the class:
- Whether you can continue training with help from friends and families
- If you dog would be suitable for a reactive dog class which I will run if there is interest. This works well with frustrated greeters, dogs that react out of habit or confusion and low-level anxious dogs. Well run there will be no reaction from your dogs during any of the classes. It will look incredibly boring to an outsider but reassuring for your dogs!
- If you need the help of a trainer or behavioural consultant – sometimes also you can pair up suitable dogs in order to reduce cost (ask me about it, if you like my style and feel like I can help – BUT there will be ZERO sales tactics during the Barky Dog Course–I am happy to help but also happy to suggest other local people if you wish. I also only am qualified and experienced to take on some types of reactivity – I always refer on complex cases or cases of aggression or very anxious dogs.)
- If you need to get a fully qualified vet behaviourist through referral through your vet. This is often covered by insurance, if you have it, and will be necessary for aggressive or highly anxious dogs. We will look at how you can be sure that you choose a qualified and suitable behaviourist.
This course will give you the tools to manage and help your reactive dog. This is a hands-on series of three workshops so come prepared to do, think and practice! It is £80.
Workshops 1, 2, and 3 will be held mostly inside in Clifford Chambers Village Hall, Clifford Chambers, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 8HR on Saturdays 11th, 18th, 25th January 2020. All will be from 10am to 12pm. We have access to a kitchen and I will provide tea, coffee and snacks. Bring a notebook and a pen. You will come away with handouts and completely training plans. There will be some outside practical work so come with appropriate footwear and coats. Your dogs wont be involved at this stage, but you will practice handling skills on mine. I have found that it removes a lot of stress from handlers when it’s not their own dog. Mine also are trained to respond promptly so that they can teach you when you are getting it right far better than I could!
Workshop 1 will be held at 10am- 12pm on Saturday 11th January 2020. It will include:
- An introduction to reactivity
- What kind of reactive is your dog?
- Doggy body language
- Practical calming exercises
- Make a doggy chill-out plan for the following week
Workshop 2 will be held at 10am -12pm on Saturday 18th January 2020. It will include:
- Identify your dog’s triggers
- Practical handling skills
- The science behind changing your dog’s emotions and behaviour in the case of reactivity
- How to set up, manage and plan training sessions for your dog’s reactivity
- Create a bespoke training plan
Workshop 3 will be held at 10am- 12 pm on Saturday 25th January 2020. It will include:
- How to manage your dog on walks
- What to do when it goes wrong
- Problem solving 101
- Create a problem solving plan
- Practice your training skills for when it goes wrong
The last workshop is a practical session held at 10am -12pm on Saturday 1st February in a different venue in the same village. This session will consist of live training sessions and is held outside in the secure field of River Meadow Dog Walking. It will include:
- How to set up, observe and practice a training session
- Practical handling stooge dogs
- How to evaluate training sessions
- Places for up to 3 demo dogs who will be trained. They must be suitable in that they need to be OK traveling in the car, staying there for about an hour while the others work, and be OK with 7 people watching at a distance! If you think your dog is suitable, by this session we will be able to plan to make this a positive, useful experience for both of you.
I will only be using the latest science backed, modern training methods. There is no yanking, shouting or belittling here – not of human or dog! I am a member of the APDT, which required a practical and written exam to pass. I have been extending my knowledge with courses from IMDT, PACT, Kay Laurence and many others for years. Please take a look at my website for more information on this if you wish, or ask me if you have any questions. You can be sure that the methods and information here are scientifically backed and rigorously checked.
Please contact me if you are unsure if this is suitable for you, or if you wish to ask any questions.